Acupuncture is a pain reducing therapy used to improve a variety of conditions from arthritis to headaches to the effects of chemotherapy. It involves the insertion of very thin needles (as narrow as your hair) through the skin at strategic points. This helps balance Qi, or energy, in the body to promote natural healing.
Should I try acupuncture?
This treatment combines a full body massage with a reflexology session for the ultimate in both relaxation and therapeutic benefits.
Acupuncture can help treat a variety of conditions, such as:
- Headaches and migraines
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting
- Painful periods
- Allergic rhinitis
- Facial, neck, back, elbow and dental pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia
- Morning sickness and labor induction
- Substance, tobacco and alcohol dependence
- Gastric conditions such as IBS and ulcers
- Post-surgery recovery
What should I expect at my appointment?
Your acupuncturist will get to know you and discuss your condition. They will do a health assessment which includes questions about your current and past health conditions, diet and lifestyle. They will also observe your tongue and pulse on each wrist as well as the area where you are experiencing pain. You will lie down on a massage table with relaxing music in the background. Thin needles of various lengths are inserted into areas of your skin based on your specific condition. The number of needles used will be based on your condition but usually range between 5-25. The needles will remain in place for 10-20 minutes.
What does acupuncture feel like?
- You may feel an ache, tingle or pressure where the needle is inserted, but it should not be painful.
- Most patients experience a deep relaxation or calmness.
- Many times the experience is so relaxing you may fall asleep during your session!
- There is usually no discomfort when the needles are removed.
How long will my appointment be?
Most sessions last about one-hour. You will likely need anywhere from 3 to 15 treatments depending on your specific situation.
30 minutes - $60
45 minutes - $90
30-minute acupuncture with 60-minute massage - $135