Moisturizers to Keep Your Skin Hydrated this Winter
You know your skin is dry when you find yourself scratching….and scratching! Of course I will tell you that good moisturizers are vital this time of year, but there are a few other tricks to keeping your skin healthy.
- Make your bathroom spa like! Pull up a chair, steam the room with hot water from the shower and place a rolled towel at the bottom of the door. Once the skin is hydrated, add a moisturizing product.
- Avoid taking showers with very hot water and use a limited amount of moisturizing soap.
- While scratching seems like the simple solution to relieve an itch, it is in fact the worst choice and can lead to larger dry patches! Repeated itching can lead to an “itch/scratch cycle”. In this case, I suggest you fool your brain by placing a cold compress on the irritated area, treating it much like a burn.
When selecting a moisturizer, make sure it has at least one or more of the following ingredients: Petroleum (Vaseline), Glycerin and/or Dimethicone. Feel free to stop in and sample the moisturizers I recommend and that are available in medical facilities such as ours:
- elta MD Intense Moisturizer
- elta MD AM Therapy
- elta MD PM Therapy
- SkinCeuticals Body Retexturizing Treatment
- SkinCeuticals Hydra Balm
If you are interested in a ”real” hydrating spa experience, try a Silkpeel with Connie or a HydraFacial with one of our aestheticians. Both services have been discounted in January to encourage you to “look & feel” hydrated this time of year!